Friday, February 17, 2012

Raindrops on Roses, Glitter on Ring Fingers....

Yes, these are a few of my favorite things! (apologies to Julie Andrews for butchering a perfectly wonderful song) Every 10 days I head to Nancy at Mimosa Salon in Dupont Circle for some rehabilitation. Anyone who knows me knows that my nails are almost never naked. I have a weird aversion to polish-less nails, that began years ago. Freshman year of college, I was perpetually wearing OPI's Lincoln Park after Dark, and that was before it was cool to be super moody and goth with your nail choices. These days I try and shake it up a bit more, usually alternating between darker colors and bright reds or pinks, depending on my moods. Yesterday I decided to throw Nancy a curveball- I asked for glitter on my ring fingers. After she laughed at me and said, "are you sure about that?" she begrudgingly applied my shellac, giving me shady looks the whole time. I am thoroughly enjoying my subtle spin. If you read fashion mags or check in with style.com knows that nail art is a huge trend right now, but I don't really have time for Rihanna Talons or Pollock masterpieces to be splashed all over my digits. Instead I opt for a gel mani (Sh*t Fashion Girls Say Part Two gives a real insight into this choice) which lasts for a chip proof two weeks! Working with my hands all day, this is a real must. Christian the cute bf, like Nancy, questioned my nail flair, but I say "let your freak flag fly!" the good thing about manicures is that they aren't permanent. If you don't like it, remove it. I've decided to throw glitter into my weekly rotation, but who knows- next week could be nail art flowers. I like to keep them guessing.

And by the way, whiskers on kittens are not on my list of favorite things. Stripes, Le Pain Quotidien and gold rings are on the list, and are all featured above. You can get my capuccino down the street, my circle ring out in Vail at the Golden Bear, and my nubby knit stripe Vince sweater right here at Wink.

Peace out homeskillets!
Kate

No comments: